Click above to register!
Virtual Professional Development Institute
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday November 16-18, 4:00pm - 9:00pm
In-Person Professional Development Institute Plus
Friday Afternoon and Saturday November 19-20
“Science, Systems, Solutions”
We teach the basic science that helps reveal the complex systems that make it possible for our students to be problem solvers as adults.
Science is a creative endeavor, giving us access to knowledge about the world around us. Systems represent the complex reality of this world and the challenges society faces. Solutions to these problems can be found when we model these systems using our scientific knowledge. None of this work is done in a vacuum, lab, or classroom alone, it involves many people with various skills, knowledge of economic realities, and sensitivity to the needs of our environment and planet. Science can help us find solutions to these systems challenges when we work together across disciplines to seek a balance between human and planetary needs.
We teach the science that helps our students understand complex systems, so that they can become problem solvers as adults. Whether the complex systems-based challenges society faces are related to transdisciplinary problems like climate change, pandemics, sending humans to Mars, or exploring the yet unknown environments of our planet or of the quantum world, the solutions are found through the scientific investigations, problem solving, and creative thinking that began in your classroom years before. We want our students to do science. We want them to understand systems. We want to help them seek solutions. A better world awaits!
The 2021 PDI is VIRTUAL with concurrent session presentations, general session speakers, an exhibit hall, and chat rooms and discussion boards. The virtual PDI will be on November 16-18 from 4:00pm to 9:00pm.
There will also be an add-on IN-PERSON PDI PLUS in Harrisonburg on Friday afternoon and evening and all- day Saturday November 19-20.
Virtual Professional Development Institute Features:
* In addition to presentations related to our theme there will be concurrent session presentations in all subject areas for grades K12.
* General sessions featuring speakers who will challenge you with up-to-date scientific discoveries and instructional strategies.
* Interact with vendors in the Virtual Exhibit Hall as you collect samples of new instructional materials and explore cutting-edge technologies.
* Interact with your colleagues in chat rooms and discussion boards.
In Person Professional Development Institute Plus Features:
* Come enjoy exciting field trips deep into a rock quarry, to a pre-cast concrete planet, an extinct volcano, and to taste some of the local viticultural products!
* Come and experience some authentic research lab experiences led by James Madison University professors in their own labs!
* Come and enjoy shows at the JMU planetarium and recently expanded mineral museum!
* Come on Friday for the quarry field tip and then enjoy a "Night on the Town: Science, Systems, and Solutions in the City". It will be a fun scavenger hunt!
"It's Too Late. Let's Get to Work Anyway"
"Spinning Stories: The Science of Archaeology and Complex Problem Solving"
"Systems for Success in the Elementary Science Classroom"
Links (2021 updates coming soon)
Information about 2021 Donna Sterling Institute (CLICK Here)
- 2021 PDI Sponsorship Opportunities
- 2021 Virtual PDI Exhibitor and Vendor Information, Prices, Advertising and Form
- May 2021 VAST Newsletter with PDI Information
- Summer 2021 VAST Newsletter with PDI information
- October 2021 VAST Newsletter with PDI Information
- 2021 post-PDI Survey and Certificate of Attendance (Open from Nov. 19-Dec. 31, 2021)
2022 DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, Williamsburg, Nov. 11-13